You can blanch them in salted boiling water first to cut the bitterness, but those who truly appreciate the plant love its bitterness. It is what gives it its unique flavor in my opinion.
- 2 stalks of broccoli cleaned ( you should discard the outer tougher leaves but the stems and stalks if cleaned can be used. Just remove the outer layer of the peel if using the stalks.)
- 2-4 garlic cloves ( really as much as you like depending on your taste)
- 2 - 3 tablespoons of pure extra virgin olive oil
- salt (to taste) but about a teaspoon
- black pepper (to taste) about 1/2 teaspoon
- cayenne pepper (to taste) about 1/2 teaspoon
- 1 - 2 cups of water (depending upon how soft you like the vegetable)